Friday, March 6, 2009

Bead for Life

Over the past year I have changed how I shop for gifts. I want gifts that are meaningful to the receiver. But I also want gifts that make a difference. A gift that improves the life of the maker. Or a gift that can be recycled, gifts that won't just be disposed. Bead for Life falls into the 'improves the life of the maker' category. I am in love with the concept and the beads. Basically in 2004 the founders connected women in deep poverty who make paper beads with a market for them. This has dramatically changed the life for these bead makers. The bead makers live in Uganda. Many of the bead makers were homeless before bead for life. They worked, they just did not have a place to live. Some lived under trees, and when it rained they would run for shelter with their children. Now with Bead for Life they are building their own homes. http://www.beadforlife.org/index.html

1 comment:

SaRaH said...

Thanks for the information! I just placed my first order. I think I'll link it from my blog, as well -- what a great cause.